Friday, January 9, 2009

The Pittsburgh Report - January 10th

I have quite a bit on my mind about our hometown heroes. Most of this rant is attributed to nerves and anxiety, but I march on...

* The Steelers will put a bow on Divisional Weekend with a tussle against the Super Chargers on Sunday. This game screams of turnovers and if we can just stay on the plus side, I think we'll be OK. I'm hoping we score more than 11 points because I think San Diego's going to score more than ten.

* The Penguins are depressing me something fierce. They don't remember how to win and, what's worse, they can't stop terrible teams from DESTROYING them or mounting three-goal comebacks. If the playoffs were today, we'd be out...that's just not acceptable. I'm giving them ten more games...

* I was genuinely excited about the Pirates being INTERESTED in Rocco Baldelli joining their 2009 roster. Never mind that he has life-threatening illnesses; he was on the Cinderella Rays team that just made it to the World Series. This enthusiasm was quickly deflated today with the news that the mighty Red Sox signed him. I know he'll be the quality fifth outfielder Boston was looking for. Pirate fans count to date: at least 40 - PirateFest is just around the corner.

* Pitt football - So I was totally distraught coaching practice on December 31st during Pitt's Sun Bowl appearance against the Beavers of Oregon State. Practice concluded at 4PM and we had to make our 2nd grocery store trip in three days for those kids on the team that don't know how to shop. By the time we returned to our hotel, it was 5PM and I figured I had missed a ton of action. Not only did a miss NOTHING, but with 10 minutes left in the game, I proceeded to watch more NOTHING. A 3-0 loss later, I was really glad Christa didn't make the trip to El Paso for a missed 58-yard field goal. At least we made a bowl...

* Pitt basketball - I quickly called my dad this past Tuesday to remind him to save the front page of the Post-Gazette declaring PITT THE NUMBER ONE TEAM in the USA. I can still remember my buddy Joe and I going to games in Fitzgerald Field House, blowing 20-point leads with 5 minutes to play against Rutgers as the two team battled for eighth place supremacy in the Big East. We've come so far. St. John's is on Sunday and they've just beaten Notre Dame...it should be a fun ride.

Family Notes:
Christa is working that St. John's game on Sunday, as well as helping with the Lady Panthers on Saturday. She's really enjoying being involved in the Pitt athletic department. I'm just hoping she gets some awesome french benefits...

Dad is contemplating attending the SuperCharger/Steeler game in on Sunday in the dark in the cold with 65,000 of his closest friends. The cold weather keeps him away from the golf course, and since he put the Christmas tree away last weekend, I'm betting he goes.

Mom has read "Marley and Me" and is now seeing the movie with my dad, Dr. John, and Mrs. Dr. John. I'm so happy that my mother gets to not only go out in public AND be with other human life, but can also view a movie about a retriever. Good for you Ma!

* Side note - Christa and I renewed Mom and Dad's 8-game plan for the Pirates' 2009 season. Unfortunately, I had selected seats in right field, but they preferred passes on the third base side. This past week, I phoned the Pirate office and asked if I could make the switch. Andrew, the gentleman on the other end, stated: "That's not a problem...just tell your dad that when he PICKS ANY OF THE EIGHT GAMES HE WANTS as well as TWO ADDITIONAL GAMES FOR FREE, to just TELL US WHERE HE WANTS TO SIT and we'll make it happen."

I guess we have room for more season ticket holders. If only everything were as easy as ordering Pirate tickets. Have a great start to your year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So Pittsburgh gets by the Chargers...can you see an all PA Superbowl...Eagles/Steelers?? I think the Eagles will take Arizona, but the Ravens will be a tough game for Pittsburgh.

BTW, it's "fringe benefits", although the French probably provide some nice ones as well!