Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Not Functioning Properly

Well, I've done it.

In an effort to make myself a more well-rounded individual, today, at approximately 5:55AM, I unplugged my high-definition cable receiver and, at around 1PM, returned it to the cable company.

Therefore, if you plan to visit the apartment, bring a DVD and your A-game conversation.

I hope this is not some horrible omen that I missed the USA win the biggest soccer game of the 233-year history of the country (future entry.) Or that I will be bypassing the drafting of Stephen Curry going as high as #3 in the NBA draft and I will just have to settle for hitting the refresh button over and over again just to spot where he lands. Currently I find myself asking, "If it's this bad now, what the hell am I supposed to do Independence Day weekend - read and watch fireworks? That's just ridiculous."

Fortunately, my summer does not have me under house arrest, babysitting a small infant or puppy or without plenty to do. For one thing, the summer team that I am coaching near Davidson extracts all of the life out of me. For another, I have plenty of work to accomplish for the Wildcats over these next four weeks.

(Did you buy those excuses? I have to keep reminding myself those are valid ones.)

So, on this my first evening without a working high-definition, cable television I have
a) gone to a concert performed by members of the summer team
b) made rice
c) checked some baseball scores
d) written this captivating entry

So far, so good. I'm not shore what to do now as I have now begun to wash some dirty clothes and move towards washing the clean ones when that load is finished. Once I've finished the neighbors' laundry. I guess I could resort to reading a book, but I think that's like the members of Survivor resorting to cannibalism on Day 33 of starvation. So if one night is Day 33...

I know I can handle this ultimate sacrifice. I will become that more well-rounded person I've set myself up to be. Starting today, I am going to be more proactive in writing emails, staying on top of my work and sleep schedule and look for a high-paying house-sitting job that has Discovery Channel in sparkling high def.

1 comment:

grimjon said...

I'm sure you have some valid reason for undertaking such a drastic, and dare I say, un-American change in your personal entertainment circumstances. But unless you're getting in touch with your heretofore unmentioned Luddite heritage, I'll be damned if I can figure it what it is. Don't be fooled into thinking that just because you aren't watching "Big Brother" that Big Brother isn't still watching you. All hail the Great Glass Teat!