Sunday, November 16, 2008

A New Hobby

One of the most enjoyable parts of my job is getting to instruct spin classes. I never thought I would be writing this two months ago, but it's become a big responsibility and something I'm hoping to not only get good at, but expand.

The other assistant swimming coach, Jess, and I rotate weeks that we lead spinning as part of our dryland routine. This week (Nov. 17-22) is my sixth week leading the cycling circus. Usually we'll have to lead anywhere from 3-6 spinning sessions per week, which can wear you down by Friday.

As you probably know, I'm not a very "in-tune" with today's latest music. It would be very difficult to ride a bike as fast as you can to the sound of a baseball game on the radio or soft hits from the 80s. Nevertheless, I've gotten some help from members of the team and my arsenal of tunes has expanded quite a bit in these first three months.

Creating the mixes is tricky. You have to align the spinning activity with the songs and, depending on what you want to accomplish, can be very difficult for someone as Type A as me. Should I put a fast song here or later - should we climb a tough hill on this song or just wait for the refrain - will anyone really stay awake for this song?

One thing is for certain - I'm very glad I've been given this responsibility. Just last Tuesday, one of the people in charge of physical education at Davidson asked if I would teach a couple of spinning classes in the spring. Sounds good to me! I'm hoping to keep my library updated but that means I'll need everyone's help with collecting new songs - if you have a good, uptempo beat, send it my way. And if you'd like to try my instruction on for size, come to North Carolina for a free sample.

No comments: