Friday, November 28, 2008

Thank You for the Knowledge

There's nothing like being home for Thanksgiving. I've been fortunate enough to return to Pittsburgh for all 27 Thanksgivings of my life, including all four years while attending William and Mary, all five years living in Northern Virginia and now this year while coaching at Davidson. Everything has been going very smoothly, including travel, Patty coming with her family, seeing all of the relatives and friends, and the food. Yesterday was loads of fun even with four lop-sided football matches. Those poor Lions...

Today has been great because I got to watch the Pitt/West Virginia game at home with my dad. This was fun on a number of fronts:

First, Pitt won. They had a terrific first drive and an excellent fourth quarter on both sides of the ball. The prospect of playing in a New Year's Day bowl increases with this solid victory.

Second, I was at home on the comforts of my couch. I guess I really can't claim it as "my couch" but I'm very grateful that my sister allowed me to use it.

Third, I got to watch the entire game at home with my dad. He's pretty much taught me everything I know, especially about how to be a knowledgeable fan. I'm sure many of us have memories of watching sports with your dad or mom or sibling. When I refer to the file cabinet in my brain for random sports trivia, I usually can recollect that precise moment where I was and who I was with. These memories very special and I know I won't lose them anytime soon. Today will go in that file cabinet.

Currently I'm watching the Nebraska-Colorado game and the analyst is commenting how "knowledgeable" Nebraska Cornhusker fans are. Personally, I think it's pretty high praise for a fan base to be nationally labeled as "knowledgeable." I know that I'm not a Cornhusker fan, but I bet the people of Nebraska have a lot of families that share similar memories as me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: