Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Pittsburgh Report - December 12th

Every so often, I'll be posting my thoughts on how things are going in the homeland. This could range from how the Steelers recap of the previous week, to how the schools still don't close despite 18 inches of snow - to what Mammaw made for Sunday dinner. It will most likely be in bullet format, but if I get really fired-up, I may throw in the occasional rant. Enjoy:

* The Steelers are in a battle this week. Hines has a great quote about the Ravens: “Anybody in purple, they’re hated. It’s a respect, but there’s no love for them. They’re not inviting me to come out and eat crab cakes with them.” Both team will want to control the ball and field position. Watch out for Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth - if they have big games, we'll win.

* The Penguins had lost 3 in a row before beating the Islanders by a touchdown. It's a game they needed to win, but I hope they saved some goals for their next 12 against conference foes.

* In honor of the Pirates selecting Donnie Veal in the Rule 5 Draft, I wore my Buccos sweatshirt to practice today. This is a sign that we are moving up - I hope. Pirate fans count to date: 20

* Pitt football - At last, the boys are in the Sun Bowl with nine wins playing on New Year's Eve - count me as someone that did not think that would happen after losing to Bowling Green in the first game.

* Pitt basketball - I'm going to have a lot of fun watching them this season. They've had some nice wins against Washington State and Texas Tech. Tomorrow they face Siena, one of the surprise NCAA tournament teams last season.

Family Notes:
Christa continues to work hard for the Pitt sports information department. I really hope they consider taking her to El Paso for the Sun Bowl. I promise that no one in the Salerno family tree will have ever traveled farther for their job.

Dad went to the Steeler/Cowboy game last week and stated it was "the coldest he's ever been in his life." But, he says, "all the idiots that yell were too cold to stand and make jag-offs of themselves. So that was nice."

Mom is currently looking for non-pleated pants for me for Christmas. This will mark the 18th straight Christmas I look to upgrade my wardrobe solely on December 25th. Thanks Mom!

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

grimjon said...

That...
Was...
AWESOME! I especially liked your Dad's quote. Did he drive clear acrosst town to get to the game 'n at?