Monday, December 8, 2008

That Was Then, That Was Now

I remember when I was about 10 years old and I discovered our soccer team would be going to an outdoor tournament in the Middle of Nowhere, Ohio. I was really excited at the prospect of STAYING IN A HOTEL and getting to PLAY SOCCER WITH MY FRIENDS against COMPLETE STRANGERS in the BITTER AUTUMN CHILL. I specifically remember playing in short sleeves (despite the snow) and feeling so tough - even if I was only ten. We returned to Ohio a few other times for soccer and each tournament was just as enjoyable as the previous year's. And yes, I still continued to wear short sleeves.

Fast forward to this past weekend. When I had heard of the prospect of traveling NORTH to Ohio for a swim meet, again I was extremely excited. I had never been to this particular Middle of Nowhere, Ohio (Gambier) but I could not help but recall those frigid days in shin guards, on the pitch, with my pals, playing great games and having a blast.

Our trip this past weekend was a success on many fronts. First, the team broke ten school records, which is not easy to do when you are not fully tapered. Even if records were not broken, most of the 23 Wildcats that made the voyage swam season bests and stood toe-to-toe with some of the fastest swimmers in the country, noteably Penn, host-Kenyon, and Kansas' women's team. Second, no one got hurt or sick. You might think this is a silly success, but I am surprised how over-prepared the team was for the elements. Some brought hats and gloves and others we ready for the Ididarod.

Most importantly, though, the team continued to grow a little closer. It's amazing how people's perspectives change when you witness a teammate achieve a best time, have a good continental breakfast, or chase squirrels in the snow for five minutes. Instantly, being nervous for the 400IM does not seem so daunting because, after all, you know what you're doing and you'll be great for swimming it. Yes, the team was tired at times, but that comes with the travel, the late nights studying in the hotel lobby and, most noteably, the pressure-inflicted racing.

These trips are very special because they are so rare and such a terrific chance to be away. We may never get snow in Davidson this year and we may not swim against teams this fast. It all refers back to opportunity and making the most of that chance. I have the opportunity to be around some very special kids every day and to know that they enjoyed their trip to Kenyon made my experience that much more fulfilling.

I'm sure that if I were in a profession that required continuous travel from state to state and time zone to time zone, the luster of relocating would dim. There's just something great about knowing your will be STAYING IN A HOTEL and getting to COMPETE WITH FRIENDS against COMPLETE STRANGERS in the BITTER AUTUMN CHILL that is very enticing. The swimmers made my first adventure to Gambier very memorable - almost as if I were ten all over again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No wonder you and Jean get along - she's always been about the HOTEL and being somewhere new.