Thursday, February 5, 2009

Could Never Imagine...

First I would like to apologize for not submitting an entry in over two weeks. Part of it was due to a lack of free time, but it was mostly because the consummate presence circulating through my head for the past 15 days revolved around the Steelers.

The Steelers did not need me to write how I thought the outcome would unfold or break down what I will do leading to the Super Bowl. I tried to maintain my regular lifestyle, prepare like I always prepare for life’s challenges, and treat the next game like the previous one. And since this was stated by our head coach, Mike Tomlin, and since I feel a sacred kinship with him – having both survived William and Mary and long to be great coaches – I felt compelled to obey.

Every passing day between the Ravens game and the Cardinals game, it sunk in more and more that we were in the Super Bowl, culminating with this past Sunday. And yes, I was nervous and hopeful, but at the same time, I had a confidence that everything was going to be OK. Since defeating the Seahawks three Super Bowls ago, I really never imagined us returning to the big game until ten years or so down the line – not for any good reason – I just thought the NFL’s parity would give way to the Chargers or Jaguars, or Jets making it there. Coupled with the difficult schedule, I was hoping, like every season, to make the playoffs and take the postseason tournament one game at a time. This was all a bonus.

Super Bowl Sunday was terrific on a number of fronts, some deeper than others. I just had an enormous amount of pride for my family and the city and culture that I was shaped by through the Steelers (how’s that for deep.) The day went by slowly for me. I finally made it to the national anthem and, after its conclusion, I assumed my usual position on the floor, hoodie on, no food, no folks around to comment, no yelling, just me and my television for the next 3.5 hours.
There really isn’t a facet to the game that I’ve uncovered that has not been detected over the last three days. I recorded it so I can find nuances that I might not have spotted the first time. Of the many sports theories I have, a strong one is - being up 13 points is a 95% guarantee that you will lose the lead.

What do you know?

The Cardinals go-ahead touchdown was probably the best thing that could have happened to us. Instead of pretending to protect a lead in the biggest game of the season, we attempted to snatch the victory. Truthfully, I was hoping for overtime; I yearned for Ben not to throw over the middle too much and hoped he used good judgment throwing the ball away if he were in trouble. When Santonio got us to the 5 with his catch and run – I still never imagined we would punch it in. With Warner turning the ball over in this same spot in the first half, I thought we would be super-conservative.

And after Santonio made the catch and the referee signaled ‘touchdown,’ I pointed at the clock on the television at how much time was left. There was no time to celebrate. (That’s not entirely true; I was politely asking Skippy to make the extra point, while noting the 35 seconds left in the game for Warner to break our hearts.)

BAM - Warner to Fitzgerald to the Arizona 43 and Warner to Arrington across midfield in a blink of an eye. So now I was thinking he’d go for an outside pass for another 20 yards before setting up a heave to Fitzgerald. I was stunned to see Warner dance in the pocket, buying time in hopes of a deep bomb in the end zone – that didn’t make any sense to me. When he was sacked, and Keisel recovered the fumble – I really didn’t think they were going to count the play. That’s not what the Cardinals drew-up, was it? The confirmation of a fumble and a recovery by us happened so quickly that once Ben took a knee and the game was over, I had this quizzical look on my face; “did we just win the Super Bowl?”

Since that fumble, it has sunk in more and more. I’ve been on the phone a bit with family and friends and It’s an unbelievable feeling of pride and accomplishment when you care about something so much. I have a “Complain-free” theory that I use when my teams win a championship. I am not allowed to moan about my team for five years post-title and an additional 4-year extension for every title during those five years (as well as no complaining about ANYTHING until the next championship contest for that sport.)

I’m good until 2015.

Hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: