Friday, February 13, 2009

Pittsburgh Sports Report - February 13th

I have to start this posting with a great column written by Bill Simmons of ESPN. He is one of my favorite writers for a number of reasons - one of which is his unique ability to encapsulate things that I've uniquely pondered in my sports universe since I was four. Bill begins his latest article with a You Tube clip; it's to the right. If you are a sports fan, you too will listen to it 23 times in 48 hours. The article is great too, (hilarious section on Luol Deng) but if you're not a sports fan, you'll appreciate the first three paragraphs and then move on with your life.

Second, the last time I wrote a PSR, an anonymous "fan" said that I wrote "french benefits" instead of fringe benefits. Yes, I did. And this was on purpose, mostly to pay tribute to one of the
greatest commercials of the early 21st century. My buddies Crispino and Watts love this commercial, too, and I think I've mimicked it enough that it's used in their daily conversation - not as much as I use it, though.

Now to business...It's a great time to be from Pittsburgh. The PSR feels the sun shining on us and for good reason:

The Steelers Super Bowl victory, as documented in a previous entry, is more than meaningful. There is a large difference in this bunch versus the team that beat Seattle three years earlier. This time, our head coach understands the franchise is measured in Super Bowl trophies and I truly feel they will be ready for the draft, mini-camp, training camp, and the 2009 schedule. We are also in serious discussions with James Harrison - understanding his true value as a player and leader.

Beating San Jose on Wednesday was huge for the Penguins. The night before, the Sharks put a thumping on Boston - the best team in the Eastern Conference, and defeating a team of their caliber goes a long way, even if they are not in the same conference. Since the last PSR, the Penguins have gone 7-5-1. It's good enough to give me hope they'll turn it on, but bad enough to expect them to fall short of the postseason. They just need to remember how to score again.

Pitchers and catchers report today for the Pirates and position players will report the beginning of next week. I'm excited about the hometown nine, excited about the coaching, excited at the development, and excited that we've draped ourselves in
new uniforms. Pirate fans count to date: at least 602 - we passionate baseball lovers enjoy the sound of the ball hitting the catcher's mitt; a sign of hope eternal (and by eternal, I mean through May 10th.)

There has been a lot of buzz on ESPN about Pitt facing UConn this Monday. I will be recording the contest (due to coaching obligations) and relying on my loyalty to the program to get them through the first half. However, the Panthers face Cincinnati tomorrow and the Bearcats are no slouch. They've won three in a row and are determined to get a quality win for the tournament committee to notice.

And how about Duquesne basketball! I don't remember the last time the Dukes were at the top half of the Atlantic 10 standings. The victory over Xavier was great, but beating a better Temple team at home would go a long way towards conference legitimacy

Family Notes:

In Pitt's recent defeat of West Virginia, Christa was working the media table and located behind Coach Bob Huggins. We get a good shot of my sister with about 12 minutes to go in the game. ESPN zooms in on Huggy Bear who is visibly angered by his team's lack of defense, and in the background is Christa, smiling and giving commentary to her two worker friends. So proud one of us made ESPN.

Mom and Dad share this spot because they are currently in Florida on vacation in Orlando attending a wedding. Christa is there as well (I guess she's on vacation time) and they are enjoying the sunshine and paradise that comes with Florida. They never tell me this stuff (or at least that I can remember.) This is the fourth time in 3 years they've gone on vacation, called me while they were there to inform me, and me being in the dark. But I'm glad they're living the good life.

Mammaw's been my valentine forever. I miss her a ton and hope she's doing well.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

1 comment:

Free Choices said...

Decent blog. Could use work. Grammar is exceptional. Content is mediocre. Too much about you.

I'm just joking. I bet you hear this a lot, but quite a few people ask about you and your whereabouts. I just say, "he has moved to Poland and is doing well."