Saturday, April 11, 2009

Forks in the Road

"Some of the best joys are decisions -- like refusing to carry a certain pain, worry or doubt any longer."

Coaching high school seniors, whether for their summer club, year-round squad, or their respective high school brought some of the biggest thrills of my life. I was very fortunate during my first campaign as head coach of Fairfax High School and the wise age of 22. The group of seniors that I inherited was top of the line; they had ambition, intelligence, chemistry, and a knack how to influence their teammates. Seeing them accepted to places like Texas, Kentucky, and William and Mary meant a lot to me as their coach. Truthfully, though, the five-month relationship I formed with each of them probably was not the missing ingredient to their admission into these fine institutions. They did the work - I merely saw them off.

Four more seasons would breed new and special crops of high school seniors, each class and individual bringing a unique flavor and character to instruct and behold. I continued to watch them off to some of the nation's premier universities and continue to keep an eye on their progress, achievement, and ambition for what the future holds. Each season was a little more special due to the compiled time you spent molding them as young women and men. Additionally, as their high school coach, it was always amusing to listen to what they saw in a college and the process of narrowing schools from a cluster, to a select few, down to the ultimate selection.

Beginning this past August, the prism that I viewed high school seniors came from a much different angle. Before, it was assisting them with recommendations, offering input from schools that I, to my knowledge, fit the seniors' criterion, and bidding them farewell. This year, I'm the savvy persuader, the gentleman who shoots the pleasantries of one specific institution in hopes that each candidate will return with a hunger for more information. I must say that it's a responsibility that I love, but never really absorbed the premise for it until three days ago.

Three days ago, the Davidson Financial Aid department began distributing very important documentation to some of our prized recruits, as well as thousands of other accepted applicants to the College. These contents inform each rising collegiate freshman of the aid he/she will receive from Davidson. Think about that - one envelope can casually have what amounts to a $30,000 prize in it. It might have $3,000 or $300 of assistance. Right now, $300 is a lot of money to me. Any way you slice it, it's big news. With the arrival of their financial aid package, the bulk of these talented teenagers, looking at the Davidson Wildcats as a team they might be a part of in the fall, have journeyed to the proverbial fork in the road.

Choices foster stress and, yes, there are many components to choosing the right college. For 99% of these kids, money is a large portion of the final decision. With the current economic plight of the land, paying for Davidson without assistance is rarer than ever. We find that many of these kids that are attracted to the grounds, the academic reputation, the honor code, and close-knit community are just as detracted from Davidson by its cost, its size, its cost, and how much it costs.

Wednesday is a day I will not forget anytime soon because those same attractions overtook the detractors, or in this case, the detractor. Someone that is near and dear to my heart had all of her hard work and commitments to excellence come to a fruitful happy ending. I'm not sure exactly what that financial aid letter contained, but I know that young lady called John and I and politely proclaimed, "I'm coming to Davidson!" Being so close with this young lady gave engrained me in this decision more than I could imagine. I had the privilege of coaching her to her senior season and now played a role in sparking her curiosity to Davidson all the way to her fantastic concluding resolution. Her decision to come to Davidson, though, is more than just a merit badge for me. Not only did she no longer have to weigh the pros and cons of various institutions, but she confidently met her fork and boldly chose a direction, a path that will undoubtedly mold her for many years to come. For any future recruits that choose Davidson, I will be overtaken with joy. For this particular star, I'm overtaken with pride.

My future sister-in-law, Michelle, is faced with some of the very same forks. Any school will benefit with Michelle on their campus. They continue to woo her with financial offers, trips on their dollar, and opportunities that she's earned with her dedication and focus. She, too, is staring at her fork right between the prongs and shortly will commence blazing a trail of challenges and memories. I can't say that I completely understand what each of these young ladies is going through. But I can say that I respect their decision-making process a helluva lot more now that I'm engrossed in the recruiting process.

Should 1 or 5 or even 10 more possible recruits choose Davidson, it may selfishly symbolize a pat on the back or a glossy feather in the cap. Now I acknowlegable these tough verdicts for the importance they each serve. They are life-altering, provital, and adventurous. That's what draws these kids to their forks and once they made their choice, they can begin experiencing one of the finest joys of their life.

1 comment:

Castle said...

yayyy recruiting... I feel like John didn't have to try very hard with me..I made his job pretty easy. I had decided I was applying early decision before I really talked to him. SO glad I went ED. Made life awesome. Plus I got to pretty much say, "screw you, grayson high school" in december, then watch everyone else sweat it out.

Also- love the "Matt's Wedding" link. Especially the proposal story. Good work.