Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Respecting the Captaincy

Two days ago, John gathered the team together before their 4PM practice and had them each vote for captains for the upcoming 2009-2010 swimming and diving season. I'm sure many teams across the globe vote for captains and the democratic method of voting gives each swimmer and diver on our team a voice.

There’s something eternally special about the title of captain. I can’t say that I have the ultimate formula for the ultimate captain. I know that I’ve been around some tremendous ones in my days in the pool, on the pitch, on the diamond, wherever. One that particularly comes to mind was Chuck Hickenboth. Chuck was a senior when I was a junior at Fox Chapel. Chuck played center field – which is the position I coveted when he graduated. Chuck was not the flashiest player, or had the gaudiest numbers. But he was the most electrifying, the catalyst, the reliable rock that our baseball team needed when we went on a three-game slide and needed a spark. Fox Chapel had never been known as a baseball school, but it was Chuck’s leadership that allowed the team to make the playoffs for the first time in a long time. Chuck’s captaincy worked for me and our team flourished.

Additionally, when Chuck was very quiet and kept his opinions to himself. But when he did talk to us, especially the non-seniors, you better believe we listened. A captain’s voice holds value, not just a common courtesy. I would want my words to trigger thinking and action, not just the rolling of eyes or a nonchalant demeanor. If team matters should be frayed or the inmates too rambunctious, it’s the captains that step-in and find a solution to the problem before it escalates. Chuck was very good at this. Through experience as an athlete and coach, I’ve come to value the captaincy more. The responsibility and vast representation to the team, school, family, network, you name it – is quite powerful. But on all of teams I’ve associated myself with, and all of those squads that have boasted a captain, I’m beginning to conclude that captains have a lot in coming with the first selections in the NFL Draft – they are a hit or a miss.

You can’t be a “middle-of-the-road” first selection in the draft. You either live-up to the expectations, or you’re a bust. Same with holding a captaincy. You can be elected, appointed or have inherited the title, but if you don’t produce results, you have done your title an injustice. You can have “all of the tools” to be a great player, a super student, an artistic poster-drawing sensation. Ultimately, you have to have a pulse of the team, understanding which buttons to push at the right time. The team is your focus more than yourself and your goals. Representing the Tampa Bay Rays or Manchester United or Fairfax High School is paramount and you, Captain Captain, either live-up to the expectations, or are a bust.

In the here and now, it really kills me to have captains of teams prodded for their shortcomings or pitfalls. We have not elected Babe Ruth or Jesse Owens or Gandhi to lead us. We’ve elected one of our own – the one that we can lean on for leadership and counsel. Being the Captain is a point of arrival; when one is chosen, THAT IS OUR CAPTAIN. Our LEADER! That teammate is the rock that keeps the players together; and when situations get worse he/she is there for comfort, encouragement and sustainability. Show me a team in chaos and I’ll show you a team with little to no leadership for within.And just why are fewer captains the most talented? When considering the most talented players, very often those are the ones that are neediest – either from the coaches or parents or support system. They may arrive late to practice, sometime misses practice, tends to compete for themselves, or not follow the instructions of the coach because it is not in their best interest. Talent does not equal leadership. But the superstar’s feelings could ease be pierced when not HANDED the captaincy. After all, the talent is accustomed to winning and the highest achievements. Why wouldn’t this be the case, as well?

I don’t know if I’ll ever be a captain again (cross-off being captain of my house – that’s taken.) But I do hope to influence and admire the captains on the teams I guide. I know they won’t all be Peyton Mannings, but I’ll be doing my best not to have Tim Couches.

No comments: